The Zika virus is suspected to cause Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Here are five things to know about this disease:
1. Anyone can get it. Usually it happens after an infection of some sort.
2. This is a disorder where the body starts to treat its own nerves as a disease and attacks it.
3. Symptoms include weakness or tingling in the legs which could spread to the upper body and arms. It can get to the point where the victim is totally paralysed. At this point it can interfere with a patient’s ability to breathe and is considered a medical emergency. Most people who have the syndrome make a complete recovery, while others might continue to have some weakness in their muscles.
4. Most people who get the disease are at their weakest after three weeks.
5. Guillan-Barre is not a disease which is caught from others.
Source: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke