UPDATED: HK secondary student fighting for his life after a bus hit-and-run

UPDATED: HK secondary student fighting for his life after a bus hit-and-run


The Hong Kong Police is investigating the hit-and-run.

[UPDATE: Wednesday, January 23 - 3.25pm]

A teenage boy is fighting for his life after being hit by a double-decker bus at a pedestrian crossing in Tai Po this morning.

According to a KMB spokesperson, the 52-year-old driver involved was unaware the bus he was driving had hit Ho, but had reached out to the police immediately after learning about the accident.

Based on the KMB’s account of the incident, the bus was driving on Nam Wan Road when the traffic light for vehicles was green, but Ho suddenly ran out onto the road and was hit by the back of the vehicle on the right hand side.

The KMB spokesperson added the company had sent representatives to the hospital, and would fully assist the police investigation.

Police figures show 118 people died in 99 road accidents in the first 11 months of 2018, including a Tai Po bus crash in February that killed 19 and injured more than 60. In the whole of 2017, 108 people died in 104 traffic accidents.

A male secondary school student is reportedly in critical condition after a bus hit-and-run on his way to school in Tai Po on Wednesday morning.

Local media reports the student, surnamed Ho, is a Form Three student at Law Ting Pong Secondary School in Tai Po. At around 8 am, Ho was hit by a bus of the Kowloon Motor Bus Company Limited when he was at a zebra crossing at Nam Wan Road near Elegance Garden, which is around 500 metres away from his school. Ho was found unconscious on the ground with severe head injuries and was taken to Prince of Wales Hospital.

The bus reportedly did not stop after the accident and left the scene. Police later found the bus involved at the Tai Po Market Bus Terminus, and the bus driver was taken away to assist investigation.

“We’re sending our care and support to the student involved in the accident. In fact, our school’s vice principal and a student support staff are already there at the hospital,” the school office told Young Post. “We hope our student get well soon. Also, we are cooperating with the police for investigations.”



To post comments please
register or