Hong Kong Disneyland revealed images of a new attraction based on Marvel heroes Ant-Man and the Wasp on Tuesday.
The ride is expected to open later this year, and is part of a multi-year expansion at the theme park, which also includes a makeover of the iconic Sleeping Beauty Castle and the construction of a new area based on Frozen. The entire expansion will cost HK$10.9 billion and is expected to be completed in 2023.
NO SPOILERS: Chadwick Boseman is a revelation as a new kind of superhero in Marvel’s Black Panther [Review]
The new ride’s purple-coloured blasters hint that it will be an interactive shooter experience similar to the Buzz Lightyear ride it’s replacing. The beloved Buzz Lightyear-themed Astro Blasters closed in August last year after a 12-year run.
The park reported losses of HK$171 million in 2016. However, estimates suggest it will attract up to 9.3 million visitors a year by 2025, up from 6.1 million in 2016.
Hong Kong Disneyland’s attendance fell by 10 per cent in 2016. Ticket prices were raised in December for the fifth year in a row to make up for the drop in visitors, with adult admission costing HK$619, up 5 per cent.
Eunice Yip, 17, doubted the new ride would increase the park’s popularity. “I think people would have high expectations. But if [the new ride] fails to meet them, then it would definitely be a waste,” said the student from Pooi To Middle School.
Charlotte Fong from International Christian School believes the new Marvel ride would be good for the park. “The Buzz Lightyear ride was one of the park’s most iconic rides, but the Toy Story franchise is decreasing in popularity. It makes sense to make way for recent series like Ant-Man,” the 15-year-old said.
“There is no signature attraction that people will flock to, and most attractions can be found in other parks. Hopefully this renovation plan will bring in more innovation and amusement to the park.