Nathan Law attacked at Hong Kong International Airport by pro-China protesters

Nathan Law attacked at Hong Kong International Airport by pro-China protesters


(L-R) Nathan Law Kwun-chung, Edward Yiu Chung-yim, Joshua Wong Chi-fung, Eddie Chu Hoi-dick, NPP chairman and Taiwan's Legislative Yuan member Huang Kuo-chang, Hsu Yung-ming, and Kawlo Iyun in Taiwan.

Legislator Nathan Law Kwun-chung made a police report on Sunday night about being assaulted by pro-China protesters at the airport upon his return from Taiwan, where he had attended a seminar by a local pro-independence political party.

A dozen protesters showed up at Hong Kong International Airport for Law’s return at about 9.30pm after attending the two-day forum in Taipei with fellow Hong Kong lawmakers Edward Yiu Chung-yim and Eddie Chu Hoi-dick as well as student activist Joshua Wong Chi-fung.

Protesters confronted Law with banners and accused him of being a traitor colluding with the pro-independence camp in Taiwan. Some of them threw plastic drink bottles and hurled liquid at the lawmaker.

Beijing official sets anti-independence limits for Hong Kong as thousands march against government push to disqualify lawmakers


They also clashed with security guards and airport staff in order to get to Law, whose shirt was torn. The lawmaker’s glasses also flew off in the chaos, and at one point, he slipped and fell on some stairs.

Outside the arrival hall, protesters turned on the journalists covering the incident. Two crew members from Cable TV and Now TV were pushed around and slightly injured.

Police were called in.

Law also filed a police complaint. The case is being treated as an assault with personal injury. Law later sought treatment at North Lantau Hospital.

No clashes were reported when Joshua Wong returned to the city earlier that day, at about 1pm, though he was met by about 20 protesters at the airport.

The lawmakers and Wong had been followed by pro-China demonstrators over the weekend.

Nathan Law (left) and Joshua Wong takes a picture in front of protesters before their flight to Taiwan at the Hong Kong International Airport.
Photo: Facebook

Protesters appeared at the Hong Kong airport on Friday night when they left for Taipei. During their two days in Taipei, they were also constantly besieged by anti-independence activists.

Wong was almost assaulted at Taipei’s Taoyuan International Airport when he arrived on Saturday morning and was greeted by 300 demonstrators.

Before he and the others returned on Sunday, protesters in Taipei hurled stones at them, though no one was injured.

The forum was held by Taiwan’s New Power Party, which denounced the protesters at Hong Kong airport, calling the incident an act of senseless violence.

Law said he would arrange a press conference on Monday.


To post comments please
register or