2. It is because lights/flames must be used to attract the fish/trout/ayu.
3. a draw/by drawing lots/a random selection/by randomly selecting boats
6. (i) True
(iii) Not given
7. to attract tourists/in hopes of being listed on the Unesco World Heritage List
8. squawking birds, shouting fishermen, boatmen banging sticks
9. 1: The system used to attract ayu is activated.
2: The distribution of boats on the river is decided by a draw of lots.
3: Loops are tied around the cormorants’ necks.
4: Usho remove ayu from the cormorants’ throats.
NOT USED: Each bird is given an ayu so that it knows the appropriate fish to catch
NOT USED: Usho gather the cormorants to prepare for the evening.