1. (i) ancient
2. a luxury/something available only to the wealthy/powerful people in society /something only rich and/or powerful people can afford
3. Vicky’s mother’s had/worked odd jobs
4. (i) T
5. to raise funds so that poor children to learn music
6. top schools tend to favour students with musical talent in the admission process (1) and students from poorer families are often excluded because they can't afford to pay for lessons (2).
7. After his father died and his mother became depressed, he felt helpless and worthless, so he turned to music for emotional support
8. (i) palaces
9. He wants to hold his own concert and speak up for poor children whose voices go unheard.