HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Nobel Prize-winning discovery of gravitational waves sparks thirst for physics at Chinese University, scientist on project says [February 6, 2018]
1. The discovery has led to an increase in interest/enrolment in physics/astronomy programmes. 2. C 3. 100 years
JUST READ IT Answers: Why Hong Kong parents should not feel guilty about saying no [January 31, 2018]
1. Spoiled generations of children who are indulged by their parents and grandparents and born into privilege and political correctness.
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: China’s science graduates can earn more than bankers as AI talent shortage pushes up pay [January 30, 2018]
1. professional athletes/sports stars 2. (i) catchphrase (ii) mantra 3. China has set a goal of being an AI leader by 2030 but is suffering from an acute shortage of experienced AI talent.
1. vacuum flasks 2. They were often used as props in films.
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Hong Kong children face health risk from too much screen time, according to new research [January 23, 2018]
1. (i) Children in Hong Kong are spending more time in front of screens than their peers in mainland China and the US
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Hong Kong – a food paradise? It’s time for a reality check [December 5, 2017]
1. overrated 2. local tourism and (lifestyle) journalism 3. European traders and businessmen 4. (i) F (ii) T (iii) NG
JUST READ IT Answers: Most HK primary students carry overweight school bags, survey finds [November 29, 2017]
1. (i) conducted (ii) primary (iii) overweight 2. 30 kg 3. (i) NG (ii) F (iii ) NG
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Lovely grub, say Hong Kong’s insect eaters: delicious, nutritious and good for the planet [November 28, 2017]
1. The restaurant serves insects as food for their customers. 2. Hong Kong 3. D 4. Insects provide a good source of protein, fibre, good fats and minerals for humans. 5. i) T
JUST READ IT Answers: Get away from the tourist traps of Lamma and Cheung Chau and explore the best of Hong Kong’s hidden outlying islands [November 22, 2017]
1. Hong Kong 2. Lantau, Cheung Chau and Lamma Island 3. When you want to get away from the crowds. 4. (i) T (ii) F (iii) NG 5. (i) unobstructed
1. (i) maritime (ii) documented (iii) significantly 2. (i) They become pink when they exert energy. (ii) They have blood vessels just below their skin.