JUST READ IT Answers: Fewer smokers in Hong Kong but among those who light up, more are turning to e-cigarettes, survey reveals [March 28, 2018]
1. A 2. Vaping 3. B 4. A 5. C
Getting top scores in the public exam seems like a faraway dream for a lot of students, but it’s not an impossible task.
JUST READ IT Answers: Why Hong Kong children have fallen behind in science race, and the volunteers pushing them to catch up [February 7, 2018]
1. because many students took part, which means there is interest in science and technology 2. C 3. The winning invention was a cheap, recyclable gel that can absorb oil, for example from oil spills.
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Nobel Prize-winning discovery of gravitational waves sparks thirst for physics at Chinese University, scientist on project says [February 6, 2018]
1. The discovery has led to an increase in interest/enrolment in physics/astronomy programmes. 2. C 3. 100 years
JUST READ IT Answers: Why Hong Kong parents should not feel guilty about saying no [January 31, 2018]
1. Spoiled generations of children who are indulged by their parents and grandparents and born into privilege and political correctness.
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: China’s science graduates can earn more than bankers as AI talent shortage pushes up pay [January 30, 2018]
1. professional athletes/sports stars 2. (i) catchphrase (ii) mantra 3. China has set a goal of being an AI leader by 2030 but is suffering from an acute shortage of experienced AI talent.
1. vacuum flasks 2. They were often used as props in films.
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Hong Kong children face health risk from too much screen time, according to new research [January 23, 2018]
1. (i) Children in Hong Kong are spending more time in front of screens than their peers in mainland China and the US
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Hong Kong – a food paradise? It’s time for a reality check [December 5, 2017]
1. overrated 2. local tourism and (lifestyle) journalism 3. European traders and businessmen 4. (i) F (ii) T (iii) NG
JUST READ IT Answers: Most HK primary students carry overweight school bags, survey finds [November 29, 2017]
1. (i) conducted (ii) primary (iii) overweight 2. 30 kg 3. (i) NG (ii) F (iii ) NG