by Shi Jiangtao in Beijing
SCMP, page A1 and A14, November 27, 2009
1. ... to accept mandatory carbon caps to rekindle...
- revive -
... stalled negotiations
- stopped, delayed -
2. mandatory caps would derail economic growth and impede its [China's] rise as a global power
- prevent -
3. He said manoeuvring by the key players of the talks should give way to ...
- guiding the course of events -
4. Mainland officials said the five-year pollution control and energy efficiency drive could produce gains ...
- effort, initiative -
5. it was in China's interest to take bold steps to curb emissions
- confident and courageous, audacious -
6. the need to strike a [climate] deal in Copenhagen
- come to an agreement on [climate] -