Hong Kong extradition law: Civil Human Rights Front and pro-democracy leaders say pausing fugitive bill is not enough

Hong Kong extradition law: Civil Human Rights Front and pro-democracy leaders say pausing fugitive bill is not enough

Groups opposing the controversial law urge residents to continue to insist it be scrapped completely

whatsappimage2019-06-13at17.23.02.jpeg

Protests continued in smaller numbers the day after the violence of June 12.
Photo: Joanne Ma

News that the government may be putting the controversial fugitive bill on hold will not change the Civil Human Rights Front's determination to rally Hongkongers in protest tomorrow. The organisers of a mass rally on Sunday have urged residents to continue opposing it, insisting that nothing short of scrapping the controversial legislation will be acceptable. 

On Friday, several advisers in Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor’s de facto cabinet – including convenor Bernard Chan, Dr Lam Ching-choi and Fanny Law Fan Chiu-fun – called for more time to discuss the bill, following violent clashes between police and young protesters on Wednesday.

Opponents of Hong Kong’s extradition bill organising a mass rally on Sunday have urged residents to continue opposing it, insisting that nothing short of scrapping the controversial legislation will be acceptable.

The front, which claimed more than a million people attended last week, said a lower turnout would not matter as numbers was not their main concern.

“The figure itself is not that important as the voice of people is already very clear,” said Bonnie Leung Wing-man, vice-convenor of the front.

The front, which organised last weekend’s march that drew hundreds of thousands, and pan-democratic lawmakers on Friday made it clear that just delaying the bill would not be enough.

“I understand these rumours and reports might give people the impression the government is having second thoughts, but we will not believe it until Lam announces it herself,” Civic Party leader Alvin Yeung Ngok-kiu said.

People Power lawmaker Raymond Chan Chi-chuen also called on Hongkongers to stay vigilant and not be fooled by Exco members’ tricks, which aimed to mollify public ahead of the march.
 
“These petty actions will not dampen our determination to march on Sunday,” he said.
 

Apart from calls to scrap the bill, the march – the second on consecutive Sundays – would also centre on how police handled Wednesday’s clashes, with accusations that excessive force had been used.

The stand-offs left more than 80 people injured as officers fired tear gas, rubber bullets and beanbag rounds to disperse the crowd.


You might also like:

Students explain why they're protesting

What are the events that led to hundreds of thousands of Hongkongers protesting?

The murder behind the divisive extradition bill

Comments

To post comments please
register or

1 comment