On a cool but heart-warming Saturday afternoon, about 200 people gathered at the site of the future Ying Wa Girls' School campus on Robinson Road. They were there to lay the foundation stone in a ceremony which took place on March 7.
Staff, students, parents, alumni and friends of the school, as well as building contractors and consultants, wore safety helmets for the event as it took place on a building site. Ying Wa, which is celebrating its 115th anniversary this year, is building a larger campus with modern design and facilities. In the meantime, the school has moved to Sham Shui Po.
The school has been raising funds to build extra facilities in line with its education mission. New facilities will include a 200-seating auditorium, reading/prayer rooms, music practice rooms and a campus TV studio.
Reverend Lee Ching-chee unveiled the foundation stone plaque. She is a member of the London Missionary Society, which founded the school in 1900. She also shared her story as a student, teacher, vice-principal, school council member, school supervisor and chaplain at the school.