In this powerful true story set in 1980, a down-on-his-luck taxi driver from Seoul is hired by a foreign journalist who wants to go to the town of Gwangju for the day. They arrive to find a city under siege by the military government, with the citizens, led by a determined group of college students, rising up to demand freedom. What began as an easy job becomes a life-or-death struggle in the midst of the Gwangju Uprising, a critical event in modern South Korea.
Although stopped by police roadblocks at the edge of Gwangju, Man-seob is desperate to earn his taxi fare, and eventually manages to find a way into the city. But as time passes, the situation grows more and more serious, and Man-seob keeps thinking of his young daughter at home all alone.
- This offer is valid until noon on September 17 2017.
- The contest is only open to secondary school students in Hong Kong.
- The competition is not open to South China Morning Post staff or their families.
- Tickets will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis.
- All participants will be registered as users of yp.scmp.com and details will be sent via email.
- South China Morning Post Publishers Ltd. ("SCMPP") reserves the final right of decision on all matters relating to this offer.