[Update - Saturday, Nov 14 - 19.45]
The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the catastrophic attacks, referring to them as “miracles” in a written statement released by one of its official publication arms and distributed on Twitter via the accounts of known militant propagandists, the New York Times reported.
The statement from the Islamic State provided few details, making it difficult to ascertain its veracity.
French president Francois Hollande blamed the group and vowed to strike back without mercy at what he called "an act of war".
[Update - Saturday, Nov 14 - 18.05]
French president says Islamic State group is behind worst attacks on France in decades.
[Update - Saturday, Nov 14 - 11.05]
French police say they believe all of the attackers involved shootings and bombings in Paris are dead.
Micheal Cadot, the head of Paris police said that while all of the attackers are believed to have died, authorities are searching for possible accomplices in the attacks.
[Update - Saturday, Nov 14 - 10.42]
The Paris police prefect said the attackers at the Bataclan rock venue blew themselves up with suicide belts as police closed in, AP reported.
He said the gunmen first sprayed cafes outside the venue with machine gunfire, then went inside the concert hall and killed more before the assaullt by security forces.
[Update - Saturday, Nov 14 - 10.30]
Three attackers were killed in the operation by French security forces to retake the Bataclan, according to reports.
It was also reported that there were two suicide attacks at the Stade de France.
It is not known how many attackers were involved and how many could still be at large.
People in Paris took to social media to find and offer refuge within hours of the attacks, Reuters reported.
The Twitter hashtag #porteouverte, which means "open door" in English, was being used to offer shelter as authorities urged people to evacuate the streets. The hashtag trended globally, with more than 400,000 Tweets using it, in the few hours since its creation.
Dozens of addresses and phone numbers for apartments were being tweeted on the handle, and it was retweeting offers of accommodation from other individuals.
[Update - Saturday, Nov 14 - 10.03]
More than 150 are killed, according to reports.
AFP reports Paris prosecutor's office detailing that five suspected attackers have been "neutralised", while accomplices may still be on the loose.
AFP reports that 1,500 extra soldiers deployed to Paris after attack.
* More than 100 people were killed in terror attacks in Paris on Friday night
* At least 100 of those are thought to be young people who were at a rock concert
* At least three peole were killed near the Stade de France stadium where Germany were playing France in a football match.
* French President Francois Hollande was at the football match and safely left the stadium.
* The French military has been brought in to deal with the attacks.
* The French borders have been closed.
* Airports and railways remain open but some airlines have cancelled flights
At least 139 people were killed in an ”unprecedented” series of bombings and shootings across Paris on Friday.
Police said at least 15 people were killed at the Bataclan concert hall in central Paris, only some 200 metres (yards) from the former offices of Charlie Hebdo which were attacked by jihadists in January.
Hostages were taken and at around 2335 GMT, police stormed the venue accompanied by a series of explosions.
At least three people were killed near the Stade de France stadium which is situated in the north of the capital, where France were playing Germany in a football match watched by President Francois Hollande.
An AFP journalist heard multiple explosions.
One explosion was a suicide attack, several sources said.
A source close to the investigation said at least 39 people had been killed.
“Terrorist attacks of an unprecedented level are underway across the Paris region,” Hollande said in an emotional televised message.
“There are several dozen dead. It’s a horror,” he said.
One witness at the Bataclan described a scene of carnage at the concert hall.
“I saw 20 to 25 bodies lying on the floor and people were very badly injured, gunshot wounds,” Julien Pierce told Europe 1 radio.
“Some of them were dead. Some of them were very badly wounded, but it was a bloodbath.”
Hollande declared a state of emergency across the entire country and said the borders had been closed.
The military had been mobilised to reinforce police and ensure no further attacks took place, he said.
Another attack was reported at a Cambodian restaurant called Petit Cambodge, not far from the Bataclan venue in northeast Paris.
Counter-terrorism prosecutors said they had opened a preliminary investigation.
They opened fire
At the Stade de France, Hollande was attending the match and had to be hastily evacuated.
Spectators flooded the pitch as news of the attacks spread before organisers started an evacuation.
The mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, called for residents to stay at home.
“We heard gunfire, 30 seconds of fire, it was interminable, we thought it was fireworks,” said Pierre Montfort, who lives near rue Bichat, where the Cambodian restaurant is located.
“Everyone was on the floor, no one moved,” said another eyewitness who had been at the Petit Cambodge restaurant.
“A girl was carried by a young man in his arms. She appeared to be dead.”
The toll “will be much heavier” than the initial confirmed deaths, a security source said.
Camille, 25, said: “My sister is in the Bataclan. I phoned her. She said they opened fire. And then she hung up.”
An AFP reporter outside the Bataclan said there were police carrying machine-guns and more than 20 police wagons with their lights flashing around the scene.
Hollande travelled to the interior ministry to set up a crisis cell with other ministers.