19 dead and more than 60 injured in horrific bus crash in Hong Kong

19 dead and more than 60 injured in horrific bus crash in Hong Kong

The bus flipped over onto its side when the driver made a turn near Tai Po Mei on Saturday evening

scmp_10feb18_ns_bus_60346506.jpg

Emergency services workers are seen working on the wreckage of the bus.
Photo: Felix Wong

The Kowloon Motor Bus company (KMB) is partly to blame for Saturday’s horrific bus crash – which left 19 people dead and more than 60 injured – a KMB staff union representative said on Monday.

Lai Siu-chung, deputy director of the Motor Transport Workers General Union’s KMB branch, said the company did not give its drivers enough training for new routes. However, KMB said its drivers were properly trained.

At 6.15pm on Saturday, a KMB bus, route 872, was travelling from Sha Tin racecourse towards Tai Po. The driver reportedly lost control of the vehicle as he was making a turn near Tai Po Mei, causing the bus to flip over onto its side.

At least 11 people were in critical condition in Kwong Wah, Prince of Wales, Princess Margaret, and Queen Elizabeth hospitals.


Driver in tram flip accident arrested after 13 passengers hurt


At least 21 men were also hospitalised in serious condition and at least one woman was now in stable condition.

Some survivors have said the driver had been in a bad mood after passengers had criticised him for being late. The driver had not been intoxicated and had not needed medical help. He was arrested on the scene.

However, Lai said on Monday that KMB must share the blame. He accused the company of putting profits before other important issues.

The accident was the deadliest since 2003, when 21 people were killed after a double-decker bus plunged off a Tuen Mun flyover following a collision with a container truck.

Edited by Ginny Wong

Comments

To post comments please
register or