[UPDATED: Wednesday, February 7 - 12.30pm]
Kindergartens and primary schools will break early for the Lunar New Year, amid flu outbreaks across the city.
Kevin Yeung Yun-hung, Secretary for Education, told reporters at a press conference on Wednesday, that schools will be cancelled from Thursday.
"To help improve flu prevention and reduce the number of infections of students at schools, the government has decided to take this action [of early closure]" Yeung said.
This flu season has affected small children in particular, causing two deaths in primary and secondary schools since the start of the year.
Schools will remain open for parents who cannot arrange child-care services under such short notice, however, Yeung called on parents to be aware of children's health and urged them to avoid visiting crowded places.
[Tuesday, February 6, 2018]
Hong Kong students may get something of a bonus this Lunar New Year, as the government thinks about closing schools early to stop the flu virus. Unfortunately, that’s not likely to include secondary schools.
The flu virus has killed 104 people in a month.
Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor is thinking about shutting schools early for the New Year holidays – but that’s mostly just kindergartens and primary schools. Yesterday, Lam said she would meet with the city’s flu experts to see if the move was necessary.
Since the flu season started last month, 11 children have had serious cases of flu, and two have died. They were three and five years old.
The Centre for Health Protection has warned that the flu risk will continue for a few weeks.