The Hong Kong Indigenous group – convener, Ray Wong Toi-yeung, has been missing since last week – has accused the Registration and Election Office of censoring its by-election candidate Edward Leung Tin-kei’s campaign brochures.
On Monday night, the group received a letter from the election office stating that their brochure was against the Basic Law and would not be distributed for free. On the brochure the group had called for autonomy, brave resistance and self-determination for Hong Kong.
The spokesperson for the group, Wai Pik-Kwan, told Young Post yesterday that the Basic Law says Hong Kong should enjoy a high degree of autonomy.
“Leung’s brochure highlights the rights people in the city should secure, so we are angered and frustrated by the election office’s decision,” said Wai. “We will destroy the brochures and continue to fight for votes in the election.”
Leung appeared in court last week to face one count of rioting. Wai said this raised some concern about Leung, but said the Mong Kok riots were caused by the Hong Kong government’s failure to protect the rights of local people.
Wai hopes people will get the party’s message, as they aim to get at least 50,000 votes.
Leung is competing with six others for Civic Party member Ronny Tong Ka-wah’s now vacant seat in the upcoming Legco by-election in New Territories East. Tong resigned from his position last month.