Tianjin's teen firefighters

Tianjin's teen firefighters

Relatives allege some firemen who were first at Tianjin blaze were under age when recruited, did not get much training and don't count on official "missing" lists

img53in7ff.1_ed1_page04.jpg

Zhou Ti, one of the young firemen who were first on the scene, was lucky enough to survive.
Photo: Xinhua

While the world reels at the news of the devastating explosion in Tianjin last week, relatives of some of the young firemen, who are still missing, have been desperately seeking answers.

Wei county, a poorer area of Hebei province, had never received much attention until yesterday when heartbroken relatives of firemen tried to force their way into a press conference about the diaster.

"I need an explanation. I need to find out where my son is," said Wang Xiurong.

Wang is the mother of a fireman from the No.5 team of the Tianjin Port Group fire department. It along with No.4 team was among the first fire crews to arrive at the scene of the disaster on Wednesday night. All 25 firefighters from No. 5 team are missing and at least 11 of them are from Wei county.


The one who survived


Big companies and enterprises in China, such as ports and chemical factories have to have their own fire departments to deal with emergencies.

These fire departments are often seen as lowest level in the nation's three-tier firefighting system. The first two tiers of firefighters are controlled by the Ministry of Public Security and local governments.

Lesser men

Firefighters working for emergency crews such as the No.5 team at Tianjin port work on contract and do not receive the same benefits as top-tier, said their families.

The company firefighters are usually the first to respond to an alarm in their area as they are the closest. Sometimes, as happened in Tianjin, this exposes them to the greatest danger, said a source close to the operation and in charge of fire crews at the Ministry of Public Security.

The company crews are recruited and trained by their firms, said the source, under the guidance of fire departments controlled by the public security ministry.

But Wang Baoxia, the sister-in-law of a fireman from Wei county missing in the blasts, said the crews got little training. "They weren't trained when they were recruited. I don't know what kind of training they received later," she said. 

She also said some of firefighters from the county were under age when they were recruited.

Her brother-in-law Wang Quan, 39, was considered senior in the team, but most were in their 20s and several were 18 or 19, meaning they were recruited under the legal age of 18.

The source at the public security ministry said it was common practice to recruit men who were legally too young to join.

Recruiters don't check ages

"Recruiters don't actually check the age," the source said. "The people applying give their ages themselves. So if they write 18 then we take it as 18."

Wang said that Wei county's economy used to centre on its coalmines, but since the closure of pits young men have turned to firefighting, thinking it is a good career path.

Yuan Chenggang, the father of 18-year-old fireman Yuan Xuxu, another member of No.5 team, said he was not surprised his son had decided to join the fire crew.

"It's a job to make money, of course he would go," he said.

Yuan, along with other relatives did not know how much theirs sons made a month, but estimated it was just more than 1,000 yuan (HK$1,200).

Some of the missing firemen from Wei county had only been working for several months, relatives said. The families decided that after three days waiting for news of their loved ones they had to take action.

"We heard that there would be a press conference and some officials would attend, so we wanted to come and ask who do our children belong to? Not the police, not the military, not the government," said the aunt of a missing fireman. "Contract-based [firefighter] or not, all lives are equal."

Not included in the count

Families were furious that official figures on the number of firefighters killed in the disaster only covered crews under the Ministry of Public Security and they are afraid that those not "in the system" would be forgotten.

Officials who arrived after the press conference told the families they were collecting DNA samples to help find their loved ones.

But when asked at a later press conference about missing firefighters in the Tianjin port teams, the chief of Tianjin's fire department, Zhou Tian, said: "The fire department of the Tianjin Port Group is not under the management of the public security ministry's Tianjin fire department."


This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as 'Forgotten' heroes of Tianjin

Comments

To post comments please
register or