China has confirmed its first imported case of Zika as there is increasing fear over the fast-spreading virus which has been linked to severe birth defects. A 34-year-old man travelling from Venezuela, via Hong Kong and Shenzhen reached Ganxian county in Jiangxi province on January 28.
Few cases of the disease which is carried by mosquitoes have been reported in Asia, but the World Health Organisation has declared a global health emergency to combat Zika as cases spread elsewhere.
On Tuesday, officials in China said the man had reported a fever, headache and dizziness. He had been quarantined and was treated in a Ganxian hospital since February 6. He is now recovering with a normal body temperature and fading rash, according to the National Health and Family Planning Commission.
The health commission said he posed an extremely low risk of spreading the virus.
So far, 26 countries have confirmed cases of the virus, and dozens of Europeans and North Americans returning from Zika-affected areas have also tested positive for the virus.
Brazil has been hardest hit by the outbreak with more than 20,000 cases, including more than 2,000 pregnant women. Thailand and Indonesia have reported one case each, but health experts have warned some Asian nations are vulnerable to a Zika outbreak.
Health authorities have said Zika could infect up to four million people in Latin America and spread worldwide.