Around 57,000 students taking the DSE this year will have to wait for new admission forms from the Examinations and Assessment Authority (HKEAA) because of mistakes in the printed copies. The errors were to do with centre arrangement. About half of the students had been told they would be taking their exams at the schools they are studying at. This could have been unfair for other candidates. Because of this, the HKEAA decided to reissue all school candidates with a new admission form.
Schools have been asked to collect the new admission forms from March 1 onwards and pass them on to students by March 7. Schools have also been asked to collect the old forms and return them to the HKEAA. Admission forms to private candidates and practical examinations are not affected.
“It’s unusual that such a high number of candidates from the same school have been allocated the same examination centre. We will rearrange the centres and issue new admission forms to ensure the examination is fair and just,” said a HKEAA spokeswoman.
Lee Kau Yan Memorial School principal Jonathan Lai Ping-wah said it would be a bit of a pain for teachers and students, but it wouldn’t have a huge effect.
“Teachers will have more work to do because they will have to pay more attention to detail in the forms. Students will be a bit worried, but it’s a good chance for them to care more about themselves,” says Lee.
Diocesan Boys’ School Form Six student Ng Yan-kin was worried because he thinks the change doesn’t leave him with much time to plan his route.
“I had already collected my admission form and planned my route to the centre. Now I’m feeling even more anxious as the Chinese Language (Speaking) exam is on March 10 and the time is limited,” says Ng.
The HKEAA spokeswoman said they have been looking into the issue, and the HKEAA will ensure the smooth running of the examinations.