1. because many students took part, which means there is interest in science and technology
3. The winning invention was a cheap, recyclable gel that can absorb oil, for example from oil spills.
4. (i) buzz-phrase
5. exciting/ adventurous/interesting/fascinating/amazing/great/stimulating/important
7. Any two of:
(i) He went on to Intel Isef/an international competition and won the second prize.
(ii) He was named “son of the star” by local media.
(iii) He had a planet named after him.
(iv) He was accepted to HKUST.
(v) He now runs a succesful tech company.
8. In the last two paragraphs, the tone becomes critical/ more pessimistic/less optimistic/less encouraging
10. Even though more people these days know about Stem subjects, it is difficult for Stem programmes to get any money.