1. The alpine fault, where the Australian and Pacific (tectonic) plates meet
2. i) vaguely ii) blasé about iii) seismic
3. Every year, dozens of top international geologists head there to study the geological fault.
5. (i) It is predicted to erupt every 330 years.
(ii) It results in earthquakes of magnitude eight and above.
6. A range of rocks brought to the surface from the point underground where earthquakes begin.
7. (i) T
9. They set up an earthquake tourism company, Alpine Fault Tours.
10. make someone able to continue doing something, especially when it is difficult