JUST READ IT Answers: Why Hong Kong children have fallen behind in science race, and the volunteers pushing them to catch up [February 7, 2018]
1. because many students took part, which means there is interest in science and technology 2. C 3. The winning invention was a cheap, recyclable gel that can absorb oil, for example from oil spills.
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Nobel Prize-winning discovery of gravitational waves sparks thirst for physics at Chinese University, scientist on project says [February 6, 2018]
1. The discovery has led to an increase in interest/enrolment in physics/astronomy programmes. 2. C 3. 100 years
JUST READ IT Answers: Why Hong Kong parents should not feel guilty about saying no [January 31, 2018]
1. Spoiled generations of children who are indulged by their parents and grandparents and born into privilege and political correctness.
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: China’s science graduates can earn more than bankers as AI talent shortage pushes up pay [January 30, 2018]
1. professional athletes/sports stars 2. (i) catchphrase (ii) mantra 3. China has set a goal of being an AI leader by 2030 but is suffering from an acute shortage of experienced AI talent.
1. vacuum flasks 2. They were often used as props in films.
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Hong Kong children face health risk from too much screen time, according to new research [January 23, 2018]
1. (i) Children in Hong Kong are spending more time in front of screens than their peers in mainland China and the US
JUST READ IT Answers: Why do Hong Kong doctors overprescribe for common ailments? [January 17, 2018]
1. (Hong Kong has been) a shock to the system 2. wiping me out 3. They are convenient, fast and cheap. 4. C
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: From cheap copycats to premium challengers: How Chinese brands are beating Samsung and taking on Apple [January 16, 2018]
1. the iPhone 2. The opinion that a phone with basic functions such as a good camera, and enough storage for your music and movies is “good enough”, and you don’t always need the “best” brand or technology. 3. C
JUST READ IT Answers: Hong Kong’s tiny tile shops: handmade mahjong tile maker on the dying art of hand carving for the game [January 10, 2018]
Here are your answers.