HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Hong Kong’s Lin Heung Tea House busier than ever as closure threatens 100-year-old institution [March 13, 2018]
1. A 2. C 3. one 4. developers may redvelop the building where Lin Heung is located
1. It used to be on the street and now it has a permanent home.
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: American professor speaks up for Cantonese to preserve Hong Kong’s heritage [March 6, 2018]
1. A 2. He predicts that Cantonese will dies out soon if it is not protected. 3. C 4. D 5. B
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Artificial intelligence advances smart home conversation [February 27, 2017]
1. Until now, the relationship has been one-sided. In 2018, it’s all about having a conversation with your technology. 2. C. 3. “hit and miss”/ “let the team down”/ “had a moment”
1. to help tackle the nation’s chronic smog/pollution problem 2. experimental
JUST READ IT Answers: Why Hong Kong children have fallen behind in science race, and the volunteers pushing them to catch up [February 7, 2018]
1. because many students took part, which means there is interest in science and technology 2. C 3. The winning invention was a cheap, recyclable gel that can absorb oil, for example from oil spills.
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: Nobel Prize-winning discovery of gravitational waves sparks thirst for physics at Chinese University, scientist on project says [February 6, 2018]
1. The discovery has led to an increase in interest/enrolment in physics/astronomy programmes. 2. C 3. 100 years
JUST READ IT Answers: Why Hong Kong parents should not feel guilty about saying no [January 31, 2018]
1. Spoiled generations of children who are indulged by their parents and grandparents and born into privilege and political correctness.
HIGHER REACHES ANSWERS: China’s science graduates can earn more than bankers as AI talent shortage pushes up pay [January 30, 2018]
1. professional athletes/sports stars 2. (i) catchphrase (ii) mantra 3. China has set a goal of being an AI leader by 2030 but is suffering from an acute shortage of experienced AI talent.
1. vacuum flasks 2. They were often used as props in films.